Services, CSRE, Project Controls Development, Vice President
- Job id
- Full/Part Time
Job Summary & ResponsibilitiesThe Goldman Sachs Group is a bank holding company and a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Goldman Sachs provides a wide range of services worldwide to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high net worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centres around the world.
We are committed to growing our distinctive Culture and upholding our core values which always place our client's interests first. These values are reflected in our Business Principles, which emphasise integrity, commitment to excellence, innovation and teamwork.
Corporate Services and Real Estate (CSRE), part of the Services Division, acquires, develops and manages the firm’s global real estate portfolio and delivers innovative and commercially managed travel, document management and hospitality related services.
CSRE’s core functions are:
Real Estate: plans, builds and operates the firm's facilities worldwide, and is critical to ensuring that our core businesses operate efficiently 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Business Services: delivers high-quality, commercially managed services to internal partners throughout the firm
Finance: provides commercial and financial support to the CSRE businesses and a control and risk management function for the firm’s vendor population, expense base and capital projects portfolio
Administration and Communications: oversee organizational development and internal and client communications
Part of Services Finance and reporting to the Regional Project Controls Lead, the BDP Project Controls VP (India) will support, and on occasions lead, project control functions in India including the ‘day to day’ management and oversight of the estimating, scheduling, risk management, cost engineering and related control functions provided by the Project Control teams and various third party consultants. This role will be based in Bangalore.
• Assist the Regional Project Control lead to uplift and develop team skills. Assist in
implementing global policy and initiatives regionally.
• Partner with the Capital Projects Regional Head and Project/Development Managers to assist
in the delivery of capital projects in India to cost and schedule.
• Provide technical and managerial leadership to the Project Control teams and related third
• Drive the commercial and change management of capital projects to ensure value for money is
achieved and that the costs of capital projects are captured and reported appropriately. Liaise
with Capital Projects, Planning and Project Accounting to prepare reports.
• Actively participate with Real Estate Procurement in the development of project related
procurement strategies, assist in evaluating Contractor, Sub-Contractor and Supplier bids.
• Work with the Regional Project Controls Lead to ensure a globally consistent approach to
project delivery and control.
• Assist in quarterly capital plan budgeting and forecasting.
• Ensure that there is visibility on cost and schedule risk in the delivery of capital projects and
participate in risk mitigation strategies.
• Ensure compliance with all appropriate internal controls and regulatory requirements. Work
closely with other members of the Real Estate and Business Services Finance team to ensure
Project Controls integration and collaboration with Analytics, Occupancy Expense, Vendor
Management, Project Accounting and Business Services organizations.
• Prepare budget estimation and schedule input required for initial estimate and milestone
schedule preparation and detailed budget approval documentation
• Assist in budget input into GS systems
• Monitor project budgets and schedules and identify cost and schedule issues
• Assist in the checking of costs against budgets prior to the issuance of Purchase Orders
• Prepare and manage capital project master schedule for presentation to CSRE Management on a monthly basis. Identify and highlight changes to schedule, risks and potential resourcing
• Assist in the preparation of financial reports for projects
• Prepare and assess all change order requests and claims for cost and schedule impact
• Support review of building contractor’s monthly payment application where required – check
interim payment (for larger projects) and / or quotations (for smaller projects)
• Attend project meetings (where required)
• Assist in the closing out of the Final Accounts for projects
• Assisting in preparation of Programme Documents
• Oversee the timely close out of projects in the firm’s financial systems.
• Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or equivalent degree, RICS or MBA with minimum 8 years post qualification experience in practice or commerce.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 8 years’ experience in either commercial/cost management, project management or the construction industry.
• Previous experience in carrying out project controls/estimating/scheduling activities.
• Understanding of commercial construction practices, a variety of forms of construction contracts and all aspects of project controls, including risk management.
• Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Track record of providing a commercial focus to facilitate the delivery of capital projects and working across a portfolio of projects.
• Strong commercial skills and business ethics.
• Knowledge or previous usage of JD Edwards Project Costing and/or PeopleSoft Project Costing systems (or similar) is preferred.
Preferred Qualifications• Functional Expertise - Keeps up-to-date with emerging business, economic, and market trends
• Technical Skills - Demonstrates strong technical skills required for the role, pays attention to detail, takes initiative to broaden his/her knowledge and demonstrates appropriate financial/analytical skills
• Drive and Motivation - Successfully handles multiple tasks, takes initiative to improve his/her own performance, works intensely towards extremely challenging goals and persists in the face of obstacles or setbacks
• Client and Business Focus - Effectively handles difficult requests, builds trusting, long-term relationships with clients, helps the client to identify/define needs and manages client/business expectations
• Teamwork – Gives evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
• Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others
• Judgment and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates questions, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives. Sees the big picture and effectively analyses complex issues
• Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
• Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations
Goldman Sachs is an equal opportunity employer. © The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2014. All rights reserved.