Advice from John O’Connell, Compliance
John O’Connell is a managing director in our Compliance Division. Below, he shares five pieces of advice that he would give his younger self.
1) Fail—Learn—Move on—Don’t repeat. You will—You should—You must—You mustn’t.
2) Be someone other people want to work with. Focus on doing high-quality work, and deliver on your promises, and treat others kindly.
3) Make sure you’re in the right place. If you’re filled with dread every Sunday evening at the prospect of a new work week, it might be time to reevaluate things.
4) Invest in relationships. It’s important that you invest the time to network with others, as it will help you build your career.
5) Have fun. You take your job and work seriously: people are depending on you. But never forget that life is short and meant to be enjoyed. Smile as much as possible; laugh when you can; and try to keep it all in perspective.