Goldman Sachs Student Challenge
The 2015 Goldman Sachs Student Challenge is a competition that provides students at universities in England with a unique opportunity to demonstrate their analytical, creative and entrepreneurial skills, in addition to influencing the success of an established business.
Nine finalists will be invited to present their ideas at our London offices. The Goldman Sachs Student Challenge winner will receive one year of fees to a university in England (up to a maximum of £9,000) and a place on the Goldman Sachs 2015 Spring Internship in London. In addition to the overall winner, two runners up will each receive an iPad.
The Goldman Sachs Student Challenge launches on 4 November 2014 and the deadline for submissions is 30 November 2014.
About the Goldman Sachs Student Challenge
We are inviting students registered at universities in England, and who are due to graduate in 2016, to identify solutions to one of three business challenges set by business owners who have participated in the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses UK programme. This innovative programme provides high-quality, practical education and business support to leaders of high-growth small businesses and social enterprises across the country - organisations playing a vital role in creating jobs and driving UK economic growth.
How the Student Challenge Works
Students are invited to come up with an innovative solution to one of three business challenges, demonstrating their creativity, analytical skills and strategic thinking. You will be invited to submit no more than one A4 page outlining your ideas. There will be three categories, one for each business challenge. The finalist in each category will be invited to present their ideas directly to the 10,000 Small Businesses business owner and to Goldman Sachs representatives in February 2015.
The overall winner will be selected from the three finalists. This winner will receive one year of fees for a university in England, up to a maximum of £9,000, along with an opportunity to undertake a Goldman Sachs Spring Internship in London. The two other finalists will each receive an iPad. For full terms and conditions of the Goldman Sachs Student Challenge, please click here.
Who Can Enter
The Student Challenge is open to students who will graduate from their degree course in 2016 and who are currently registered and studying at a university in England through to the end of 2015. Students from all degree disciplines and backgrounds are encouraged to enter. Submissions must be made by individuals and not teams.
How to Enter
Students interested in applying for the Goldman Sachs Student Challenge should visit the application website. All entries must be submitted by 11.59pm GMT on Sunday 30 November 2014.
The Three Business Challenges
The three business owners participating in the Student Challenge are offering students the opportunity to positively impact their businesses, and are excited to hear your innovative ideas to help solve their business challenges.
1.) BASE GROUP
- Company Overview – Base Group (www.base-group.co.uk) is a manufacturer of high-value products and services for the advanced engineering sector including aerospace, automotive and motorsport (Formula 1). Established in 2010, Base Group is made up of 3 distinct companies:
— Base Chemicals: design, develops and manufactures new materials
— Base Materials: create tailor-made solutions to customers' prototype requirements
— Base Patterns: provides a fully integrated design and manufacturing facility for the group’s clients
- Business Challenge - Create a globalisation strategy for Base Group across multiple market sectors
- Company Quote - "Base Group is excited to be partnering with Goldman Sachs on the Student Challenge, having experienced first-hand how support from the 10,000 Small Businesses programme can benefit an individual and an SME business." - John Miller, Base Group
- Company Overview – Fleetsolve (www.fleetsolve.com) is a renewable energy technology company whose Biofuel Combined Heat and Power (CHP) units provide green electricity, heat and cooling from a single power source. Fleetsolve designs, manufactures and installs these units. The systems use second generation biofuels which are a sustainable stream of liquid wastes and oils to generate power, heat, steam and refrigeration. The biofuels contain no fossil fuel and do not impact on land degradation.
The company has developed all of the intellectual property relating to its innovation. The biofuel CHP technology is unique in the market place and Fleetsolve CHP units are made in Britain.
Fleetsolve is the only company in the UK that offers a whole package approach to bio fuelled renewable energy, including:
— design and installation
— service and maintenance
— sourcing and full management of the liquid biofuel
— the client’s registration with Ofgem
- Business Challenge – Design an innovative way to market the environmental benefits of generating sustainable energy for further company growth within the UK
- Company Quote – “Fleetsolve has achieved significant growth since graduating from the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses programme. I am delighted to now participate in this Student Challenge, and to engage with a wide pool of talented students dedicated to solving a real business issue for the company.” - Anne O’Connor, CEO Fleetsolve
3.) MONSTER GROUP UK
- Company Overview: Monster Group (www.monstergroupuk.co.uk) is an online retailer with several distinct product lines, and both retail and domestic clients. Monster Group is a diversified group of privately held companies. Established in 2007, the group has seen strong and rapid growth and now distributes its products globally. The company’s plan is to continue to diversify and introduce a new division every year. The next division, Monster Mechanics, is due to launch in November 2013. The group currently includes:
— Monster Racking: one of the UK’s leading suppliers of racking products
— Monster Chef: specialists in commercial and domestic catering equipment, including its own KuKoo™ brand. It is the top seller of cooker hoods on Amazon
— Monster Retail: a supplier of shop fixtures and fittings
— Monster Doodles: a supplier of PixMax™ branded graphic and sublimation equipment
- Business Challenge: Design a creative way to increase our social media presence and enable interaction with the broader online community
- Company Quote – “I am thrilled to be taking part in the Goldman Sachs Student Challenge. I have benefited enormously as a graduate of the 10,000 Small Businesses programme - both on an individual level, but also as a company. I am very excited at the prospect of hearing fresh ideas from bright individuals!” - Rana Harvey, CEO Monster Group UK
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about the Student Challenge.