The Legal Department plays an essential role in the formulation and implementation of the strategy of Goldman Sachs.
The advice and counsel we provide to all areas of the firm is critical to maintaining our commitments to our clients, regulators, and shareholders and to promoting our culture of excellence and integrity. Our goal is to provide legal advice that protects the firm’s financial well-being and reputation and assists our various businesses in evaluating the risks associated with completing transactions and other activities.
WHO WE LOOK FOR
Our analyst program welcomes people from a variety of academic backgrounds and personal interests. Ideally, you should be interested in legal issues and the interaction of finance and the law, but a background in law and/or finance is not a prerequisite.
For our experienced attorney hires, we generally do not hire directly from law schools, but instead hire attorneys who have spent at least a few years in private practice. We also look for experienced paralegal professionals.
No matter which position you’re applying for, you should be a quick learner and a critical thinker. We look for strong communicators and relationship builders who value teamwork, leadership and excellence.
HOW WE’RE ORGANIZED
The Legal Department is organized into practice areas that either directly support a specific business or more broadly support the activities of the entire firm.
Our department includes the following practice areas:
• The Business Intelligence Group provides research and due diligence focused on legal, regulatory, financial and reputational risk to the firm’s businesses and committees worldwide.
• The Contracts, Technology, Privacy and Intellectual Property Group provides legal support for vendor agreements, privacy issues and technology and intellectual property matters.
• The Employment Law Group provides counseling, supervises employee-related litigation and supports initiatives that impact the firm’s employees and contingent workers.
• Finance Legal and Corporate Governance Legal provide legal support for The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. These areas assist with financing, prepare required legal filings and support the development and implementation of corporate governance practices.
• Investment Banking Legal supports the Investment Banking Division by structuring, negotiating and executing financing transactions for clients, and by drafting documents associated with merger and acquisition activity.
• Investment Management Division Legal provides legal, regulatory, reputational and transactional advice to our Private Wealth Management and Goldman Sachs Asset Management teams.
• The Litigation and Regulatory Proceedings Group oversees and handles litigation, arbitration, regulatory and other proceedings that involve Goldman Sachs, its affiliates or their employees, as well as other matters in connection with proceedings in which the firm is not a party.
• Merchant Banking Legal provides legal, regulatory, reputational and transactional advice to our Merchant Banking business and also supports certain other principal investing groups across the firm.
• Securities Legal supports our equity and fixed income marketing, structuring, and trading business units and related compliance teams.
WHAT YOU WOULD BE DOING
Choose from the options below to learn more about the roles and responsibilities involved at each level within the Legal Department.
Legal - Positions