- 10,000 Small Businesses UK Brochure DOWNLOAD PDF (4 MB)
- Progress Report: 'Stimulating Small Business Growth' DOWNLOAD PDF [4.7 MB]
Small businesses and social enterprises play a vital role in creating jobs and driving economic growth in the United Kingdom.
The Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses UK programme is designed to provide high-quality, practical education and business support to leaders of high-growth small businesses and social enterprises across the country.
These small businesses play a vital role in creating jobs and driving economic growth in the UK through innovation and market expansion. Social enterprises are also increasingly contributing to UK economic and community development through sustainable business models that are less dependent on traditional grant funding.
After extensive research, Goldman Sachs launched the 10,000 Small Businesses UK programme in 2010 to specifically address the support gap for small enterprises, helping them to unlock the economic and job creation potential of their businesses. The programme is designed by leading experts and is run partnership with some of the country’s top business schools in four UK regions.
How it Works
The program brings together leaders of small businesses from across industry sectors and creates unique networking and peer learning opportunities.
For those small business leaders selected to participate, the core of the program is a high quality, practically-focused business and management education, delivered over twelve sessions lasting approximately 100 hours. The program has been designed specifically for this program by world-class international, national and local experts in entrepreneurial learning.
During the course of the program every small business owner develops a customised Growth Plan to direct their organisation’s business strategy and expansion.
Participants also benefit from a range of business support services, including:
- Specialist workshops
- One-on-one business advising
- Coaching / mentoring
- Access to professional experts
- Networking opportunities and
- Alumni services
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses in the UK has been designed by world-class international, national and local experts in entrepreneurial learning.
Our partners include:
- Aston Business School, Aston University
- Leeds University Business School
- Manchester Metropolitan University Business School
- Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
- University College London (UCL)
The program is offered on a fully funded basis to small businesses and social enterprise leaders who desire to grow their businesses, create local employment and have scalable business models. This program is not intended for start-up businesses, sole traders or businesses that are not seeking to grow.
The following eligibility criteria also apply:
- The applicant must be the primary owner / co-owner of the business, or the most senior decision-maker if the business is not limited by shares
- The business must have been operating for at least one year and will generally have between five and 40 employees
- Social enterprise applicants must be commercially operated businesses that achieve their social purpose through trading rather than grant funding
- The business must be scalable and capable of generating additional local employment
- Applicants should not have extensive recent management education
- Preference will be given to those businesses operating in or on behalf of disadvantaged communities or regeneration areas.