Search

Goldman Sachs Seeks To Acquire 100% of Goldman Sachs & Partners in Australia & New Zealand

Sydney, April 7, 2011 - The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., (Goldman Sachs) and Goldman Sachs & Partners Australia Group Holdings Pty Ltd (GS&P) today announced they have commenced the formal process for Goldman Sachs to acquire the remaining 55% of GS&P.

Goldman Sachs currently owns 45% of GS&P. The remaining 55% is owned by current and former GS&P management and employee shareholders.

The proposed acquisition, terms of which are not disclosed, ultimately requires a 75% minimum acceptance by shareholders and will also be subject to relevant regulatory approvals.

The investment will facilitate the full integration into Goldman Sachs of the Australian and New Zealand businesses which have operated as a joint venture since 2003.

“Australia and New Zealand represent an important part of our growth strategy,” said Lloyd C. Blankfein, Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs. “This investment underscores our desire to continue to strengthen our Australasian client franchise,” he added.

Simon Rothery, Co-CEO of Goldman Sachs & Partners, said: “The move to full ownership by Goldman Sachs is a natural progression for the business.” Stephen Fitzgerald, Co-CEO with Mr Rothery, added: “Full integration of the resources and strengths of Goldman Sachs and GS&P will further enhance the capabilities we bring to our clients and provide additional opportunities for our people.”

The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centers around the world.
 

Media Contacts:
Edward Naylor
Tel: +852 2878 0212

Hayley Morris
Tel: +612 9321 8825