A healthy economy benefits everyone. We use our understanding of financial markets, along with our capital, to invest in communities and to facilitate economic growth.
• 10,000 Small Businesses: Small businesses are the greatest generator of new jobs. That is why 10,000 Small Businesses is committing $500 million to support the job-creation potential of small businesses across the United States, providing greater access to business education, mentors, networks and financial capital.
Our 10,000 Small Businesses program includes:
• Practical business and management curriculum for small business owners
• Access to capital
• Critical support and consulting services
• Municipal Finance: In the United States, we help states and municipalities build schools, repair bridges, improve highways and address other vital public needs by providing access to the capital markets. Since we entered the public finance business in 1951, we have been one of the largest industry participants. Over the past 10 years, we have helped to raise over $250 billion in funding for states and municipalities. As an advisor, market buyer and seller, underwriter and co-investor, we have helped secure funding for:
• Public power and utility systems
• Infrastructure improvements
• Transportation projects
• School construction and expansions
• Non-profit healthcare and higher education systems
• Urban Investment: The Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group (UIG) deploys the firm's capital to help transform distressed U.S. communities into sustainable and vibrant neighborhoods of choice and opportunity. UIG facilitates affordable housing development, economic development initiatives, and neighborhood revitalization strategies in U.S. urban areas through:
• 10,000 Women: This five-year initiative provides business and management education to underserved women around the world, coordinated in local markets by a network of more than 65 academic and non-profit organizations. Investing in education for women has a significant multiplier effect, leading not only to increased employees for businesses, but also healthier, better-educated families, and ultimately more prosperous communities.
Through our 10,000 Women initiative, women entrepreneurs receive customized business education from local universities across a range of disciplines, including:
• Strategic planning
• Accessing capital
• Market research