Privacy and Security
The Goldman Sachs Group on this page, (‘Goldman Sachs Group’ means Goldman Sachs Australia Group Holdings Pty Ltd, Goldman Sachs New Zealand Limited and their related bodies corporate or related companies wherever incorporated in Australia and New Zealand) understands and appreciates that you are concerned about the privacy of personal information the Goldman Sachs Group may collect about you. The Goldman Sachs Group is committed to providing you with high quality financial services in a secure and confidential manner. The Goldman Sachs Group complies with the National Privacy Principles as required under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) in Australia and its obligations under the Privacy Act 1993 in New Zealand when handling your personal information.
Our privacy statement sets out, for your information:
- what personal information we may collect about you;
- to whom your personal information may be disclosed;
- the purposes for which your personal information may be used and disclosed;
- our arrangements for the security of any personal information we hold about you;
- how you may access and correct your personal information; and
- how you can contact us.
In addition to the provisions of this privacy statement, there may also be specific and additional privacy provisions that apply to certain products and services provided by the Goldman Sachs Group, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. or any of its affiliates worldwide. These specific and additional provisions may also relate to your privacy protection and you should review them carefully. In the event of any inconsistency between the provisions of this privacy statement and those other specific and additional provisions, the specific and additional provisions will prevail.
What personal information we collect about you
The personal information that we collect about you will depend on the Goldman Sachs services and products that you use. Where possible, we will collect your personal information from you directly. Circumstances in which we may collect your personal information from third parties include:
- for payment purposes at your direction;
- to verify identity and for customer due diligence purposes;
- for the prevention and detection of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- where you have consented;
- where you have defaulted on payment or delivery of securities
- where we are required or authorised by law to do so; and
- for the purposes of providing you with products, services or information in accordance with your requests or reasonable expectations.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties for purposes related to the purposes for which your personal information was collected, with your consent or as authorised or required by law.
We may disclose your personal information to the following third parties:
- your financial adviser, margin lending facility provider, other financial services provider providing services to you, your custodian or investment manager where applicable;
- any member of the Goldman Sachs Group, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. or any of its affiliates worldwide;
- any third party service providers carrying out functions for or on behalf of the Goldman Sachs Group, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. or any of its affiliates worldwide;
- any person acting on your behalf including your solicitor, accountant, executor, administrator, trustee or guardian;
- Financial Services Protection Limited and its members;
- any other third party with your consent or where authorised or required by law.
We may use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- providing you with products, services or information in accordance with your requests or reasonable expectations;
- administering any accounts you hold with the Goldman Sachs Group, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. or any of its affiliates worldwide;
- enabling the Goldman Sachs Group, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. or any of its affiliates worldwide to ascertain whether or not they have other services or products which may foreseeably meet your needs or may be of interest to you, and to notify you about these;
- the research, planning, product development, risk assessment, risk modelling and marketing conducted by the Goldman Sachs Group, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. or any of its affiliates worldwide;
- identity verification and customer due diligence purposes;
- prevention and detection of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- determining whether you have any history of defaulting on payment or delivery of securities;
- any other purpose to which you have consented; or
- where required or authorised by law.
Transferring your information outside Australia or New Zealand
If we transfer personal information outside Australia or New Zealand, we comply with transborder data ﬂow privacy standards under the relevant Privacy Act, for example, by taking reasonable steps to protect the information being held, used or disclosed by the recipient inconsistently with the National Privacy Principles.
Security of your personal information
The Goldman Sachs Group takes reasonable steps to preserve the security of personal information it collects. All stored client information is protected from unauthorised access through the use of secure passwords and user log ons or other security procedures.
Access and updating of information
The Goldman Sachs Group takes reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information which we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
You are able to make a request to access and update the personal information that we hold about you. Please provide us with as much detail as possible to assist us to retrieve the personal information which you have requested. In accordance with privacy laws a fee may be charged to cover our costs of providing access to you. To amend personal information that the Goldman Sachs Group holds you should write to:
Goldman Sachs Australia Group Holdings Pty Ltd
GPO Box 2050, Melbourne, VIC 3001
in New Zealand:
Goldman Sachs New Zealand Limited
PO Box 887
Shortland Street, Auckland 1140
or via email:
How you can contact us
If you have any questions or feedback about this statement or any privacy issues concerning the Goldman Sachs Group, please contact the Privacy Officer in either Australia or New Zealand in writing at any time. The contact details are set out above.