Advice: Caroline Heller, Human Capital Management
Caroline Heller joined Goldman Sachs as an analyst focusing on campus recruiting and is now a managing director and co-head of the Global Talent Advisor function within Human Capital Management (HCM). She actively supports the firm’s employee affinity networks by sponsoring the HCM Women’s Network and being an ally of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Network.
Caroline shares advice that she would give her younger self:
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Try and see the bigger picture—you’ll learn more, make better decisions and give yourself back the time otherwise spent worrying.
- Be accurate and reliable. The best relationships and opportunities come from doing good work.
- Trust your gut. Your instincts will help you make better judgment calls and achieve greater credibility.
- Be compassionate. High standards and compassion are not mutually exclusive. Give yourself a break on a hard day—and do the same for others.
- Keep your managers in the loop. By posting upward, it will keep everyone informed—and helps keep you in the information flow.