Goldman Sachs
Businesses Letter Clients People Financials About GS Shareholders
1999 Annual Report Judgment Teamwork Innovation Reach
client accomplishments


Goldman Sachs Special
   Opportunities (Asia) Fund
Telstra Corporation Limited
Repsol YPF
Central States Southeast and
    Southwest Areas Pension Fund
Duke-Weeks Realty Corporation
Kookmin Bank


Lincoln Financial Group UK
EOG Resources, Inc.
Juniper Networks, Inc.
China Telecom (Hong Kong) Ltd.
Vivendi S.A.
Sumitomo Bank, Limited
The Allstate Corporation


Global Crossing Ltd.
Swiss Reinsurance Company
Goldman Sachs Funds
AstraZeneca PLC
Lucent Technologies Inc.
Extendible Commercial Notes
Red Hat, Inc.

Nippon Telegraph & Telephone
    Corporation (NTT)
The Republic of Argentina
United Pan-Europe
   Communications N.V. (UPC)
Vodafone AirTouch PLC
Charter Communications, Inc.
Exchange Fund Investment, Ltd
Internet Initiative Japan Inc. (IIJ)

The Allstate Corporation

Edward M. Liddy, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer:

"Goldman Sachs and Allstate have a very close relationship and our work over the years bears that out. The firm lead managed our 20 percent IPO in 1993 for $2.4 billion and subsequently helped us become an independent company by distributing to shareholders the remaining 80 percent of stock in our company held by Sears. Since then, Goldman Sachs has helped us focus on the businesses we should be in—where we can have substantial wins and where it makes sense to exit. Through a series of divestitures, we are now focused on personal financial services in the property-casualty and life-savings industries. We’re expanding the core and building on our strong position in these fields. In 1999, we acquired American Heritage Life Investment Corporation and the personal lines business of CNA Financial Corporation. We have benefited at every point from having access to top-quality people throughout Goldman Sachs who have the breadth of financial expertise to help us think through the options and execute our strategies. This is a relationship built on mutual trust and confidence. Time and again, our Goldman Sachs colleagues have shown that they have the best interests of Allstate at heart."

  • Goldman Sachs was lead manager for Allstate’s $2.4 billion IPO in 1993.
  • In 1995, the firm was financial advisor for Allstate’s $10.7 billion spin-off from Sears and lead manager for its $1.2 billion divestiture through an IPO of PMI Group.
  • Goldman Sachs was the exclusive financial advisor for Allstate’s 1996 divestiture of Northbrook Holdings.
  • In 1999, the firm was the exclusive financial advisor for Allstate’s $1.1 billion acquisition of American Heritage Life Investment Corporation and its $1.2 billion acquisition of the personal lines business of CNA Financial Corporation.
back back
Reach People


© Copyright 2007, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.