Director Since: July 2018
Goldman Sachs Committees: Governance, Public Responsibilities, Risk
Other Current U.S.-Listed Public Company Directorships: None
Other U.S.-Listed Public Company Directorships within past 5 years: Staples, Inc.
Key Experience and Qualifications
- Human capital and diversity: As Former President of Harvard University, well-positioned to provide insight on the firm’s strategies relating to diversity, recruiting and retention
- Leadership and governance: Current and prior service on the boards of directors of public and/or not-for-profit entities provides additional perspective on governance
- Operations and risk management: During her tenure at Harvard University she, among other things, broadened the university’s international reach, promoted collaboration across disciplines and administrative units and helped to oversee the operational and other risks related to the university as well as the management of its endowment
- Harvard University
- President Emeritus and Arthur Kingsley Porter University President (January 2019 – Present)
- President (July 2007 – June 2018)
- Lincoln Professor of History (January 2001 – December 2018)
- Founding Dean, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study (January 2001 – July 2007)
- University of Pennsylvania (1975 - 2000); various faculty positions including as the Annenberg Professor of History and the Director of the Women’s Studies Program
Other Professional Experience and Community Involvement
- Member, Educational Advisory Board, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Member, American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Former Member, Board of Directors, The Broad Institute Inc.
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Harvard Management Company Inc.
- Graduate of Bryn Mawr College and the University of Pennsylvania (Masters and Ph.D.)